Tuesday, June 17, 2008

A SWEETER SISTER...


...I wonder if I could have? My memories of growing up as the oldest of seven are dominated by thoughts of babysitting mishaps, fighting brothers, and crowded bathrooms. With the exception of Clark, who is just a year my junior, my siblings are all a lot younger than I, which meant that I was more of a substitute parent (in other words enforcer) than a playmate or peer. During those years I really didn't get to know my younger siblings as people, they were just the little creeps I had to keep an eye on so that they didn't get into too much trouble when my parents were gone, or so that they didn't get into my stuff. I made them meals, cleaned up after them, fixed their hair, went to their recitals and sporting events, and even took them with me on dates! Once I left the house and started a life of my own, it was easier to start to appreciate them as individuals. It wasn't until I was looking back on things that I started to remember all the fun we had together as a big blended family, with all kinds of ethnicity and backgrounds. Yes, I still remember the struggles and the hardships, but I love to think of the funny things and the bonds we were developing to last a lifetime.

I'm especially grateful for my sister Kara. She is one of the sweetest people I know. I had two sisters while growing up, just a year apart in age. One was connected to me by blood, the other by heart. I still remember the night Kara came to our house, vividly in fact, and how frightened and sad she looked. She was 2 1/2 years old, she understood and spoke no English, and she had been given away by the only mother she had ever known, to come here to find a better life. The days and weeks that followed were so hard on her. She had terrible nightmares, bloody noses, she sneaked food and hid it around the house. She must have been so confused. We tried to love her with hugs and kisses that she refused. She was unable to bond to us or anyone for years, and never liked being coddled or hugged. In the beginning I couldn't see the wisdom in bringing home these extra siblings. They seemed very unhappy, and they made for a lot more work. Now, however, I see how rich and full their lives are. I see how they have grown and overcome their difficult beginnings, how they have become parents and companions. I am happy for them and for the opportunity my parents gave them to be a part of our family. When Jamie died, the blond haired, blue eyed sister who looked like me, a part of me went with her. It's different with sisters, the bond is just different. I don't know what I would do without Kara, without that sisterhood, it's never mattered that we don't look alike. I am proud of the person she has become, and of the great mom she is growing into. She has a giving heart, she's very obedient, she's a good example to me. Love ya sis!

1 comments:

Jenifer said...

What a beautiful tribute to Kara! She is a wonderful woman, that is for sure. And you are right, you don't need blood to be sisters! :)