Sunday, June 1, 2008

WANNA GROW OLD WITH YOU


Today is my 18th wedding anniversary and even though it's not generally seen as a "milestone" anniversary, to me, it feels like one. I'll be the first to admit that I didn't take to adulthood all that well, and it took me many years to finally settle into marriage and family. I think I just didn't take the time to figure out who I really was and what I wanted in life before I got married and then had kids. I had ideas, but you know how it is... once you are a wife and then a mother, your identity can really get lost in the shuffle (not a bad thing by any means). Once the kids started to get a little older and more independent, I finally had the time to really work out all the little kinks that needed working on, and over the past year or so I feel like I've finally come into my own. Better late than never, right? And I also think that there are not many men who would have hung in there with me like Jeff has done during all the stretching and growing pains. Anyway, today I feel pretty lucky and blessed to have made it to 18 years, and I'm grateful to Jeff for continuing to ride on this crazy train with me! I will admit though, that this new feeling of calm and purpose feels pretty nice, and I look forward to having more of this kind of living.

So... what did we do today? The day started out as normally as usual. Everyone up and fighting for the shower, then Jeff and Kaylee going for their weekly brunch together. They brought me a huge bouquet of flowers and even did the dirty work of cutting them and putting them in the vase (the worst part about getting flowers, dontcha thing?). But wait, it gets much better... Jeff scheduled 90 minutes massages for us which was like heaven for me! Then we grabbed an early dinner/late lunch at Market Street. I had the halibut oscar and was not disappointed. We asked to be seated outside on the patio so we had the whole thing to ourselves most of the time. The restaurant is located next to Little Cottonwood Creek so we were right on the water- BEAUTIFUL! After massages and delicious food we were both feeling sleepy so we came home for a catnap (wink). Once we arrived home we had a note from Kaylee on the door to let us know that her gift to us was a thorough cleaning of the house! What a sweet thing to do! Thanks Kays!

All in all a really nice, relaxing day, and the weather cooperated too! Thanks to my Sweetie, and my little ones too for all the gifts you share with me.

3 comments:

Hola I'm Jeff said...

Thanks for a wonderful day. Love you.

Jenifer said...

What a perfect day! Massage jealousy for sure.

Kristi said...

I was 34 when I got married and really knew who I was..worked out the kinks, etc. Now that I'm married, I feel like I have to figure out who the new me is! Grass is always greener.....
By the way, cutting and putting the flowers in the vase is my favorite part! :-)
Happy Anniversary!