Monday, September 22, 2008

SWEETNESS FOLLOWS

It's been around three weeks ago, I think, since my brother Clark and his wife Tiffani were contacted by a friend of a family member, about a girl she knew who was due to have a baby. This girl was planning to place the baby with an adoptive family, but the family she had chosen fell through, and were Clark and Tif interested in meeting her. They did meet with her along with other prospective couples. According to Tiffani, during these past few weeks she has had daily conversations with the birth mother and the decision had been reached that if the birth mom decided that adoption was what was best for her baby girl, Clark and Tif would be her choice. Last Friday was the big birth day! The weekend for Clark and Tif was spent primarily at the hospital with so many ups and downs and emotional unrest that I can't even imagine how difficult it has been. Birth mom went into labor still unsure of her decision. Then the birth father showed up at the hospital in violation of birth mom's instructions to the hospital staff, and in violation of the terms of his parole (as I understood it).

Tonight after three sleepless nights, many heartfelt talks and decisions, birth dad's arrest and trip to jail, new Baby Girl is on her way to her new home with mom and dad, big sis Tiani, and little, big brother Sam. All this family has asked for in the next couple of days is a lot of time to rest and sleep, and for a couple of days to just be by themselves together. I have not been able to talk to them directly, but got word from my dad. I am inclined to honor their request (even though I'm dying to see her) to have some space and privacy. As soon as they are up to visitors though, we will meet our new neice and cousin, and I will post some cute pictures of her. Oh, and I'm sure I will have a name to reveal! I do feel for the birth mom tonight too. I really believe that the choice so many young mothers make to let go of someone so connected to them, because they feel their baby will have a better life, is incredibly brave and selfless. Clark and Tiffani are great parents and they will give this new baby a wonderful life. I am so happy they were able to bring her home tonight. I know they are so grateful for the wonderful gift they've been given.

Congratulations you guys! We love you!

2 comments:

Kristi said...

wow I can only imagine the roller coaster. Congrats to them!

Jenifer said...

I teared up reading this! A mother who gives her baby up for adoption has to have the biggest heart ever. And I am so happy for Clark and Tiffany! How fun to have a new baby to snuggle!