Thursday, September 11, 2008

BACK IN FULL SWING

This week we are finally back into homeschool full-time. Each year we kind of focus a little more on one particular area of learning, i.e., one year we may focus more on history, one year science, one year language arts, etc. This year we've decided that Physical Education will get extra attention, and I couldn't be more sore and tired!!! Brit decided that he really wants to learn to play tennis... and learn to play well. I used to play tennis all the time when I was a kid, I was okay at it, but I haven't played in over 20 years!!! We had to buy rackets, and balls, and even new shoes, so that we would be fully equipped to take on the courts. We are not good, in fact, we are so not good that we drive from park to park to find an empty court so that we don't embarrass ourselves in front of other players. Our goal is just to improve enough that we can play in front of people, instead of wasting precious court time driving all over Sandy and Draper! Another part of our fitness regime will include biking. Brit and I both spent some of our hard-earned cash on new bikes. I think Brit already blogged about his bike, we both got really cool commuter bikes called Townies made by Electra. I have never been more comfortable while bike riding in my life! These bikes are great! So we will spend as much time biking as we can before the weather gets too cold. We also bought a membership for the family to Dimple Dell, our community rec. center, where Kaylee has a homeschool P.E. class twice a week, and where Jeff, Brit, and I can work out and we all can swim. I'm looking forward to the day when walking down the stairs is not a painful and precarious situation, when I can lift my arms higher than waist level, and when every meal no longer includes and Advil chaser.

I'm really pleased with the whole school year we have planned. Both kids are involved in lessons, classes, and activities all over the valley. We will be in the car more this year (hooray for the Prius!), which will take some getting used to, but I feel like we have so many great things going for homeschoolers in our area, we don't want to miss out on anything!

I've also been reminded of how grateful I am to have a husband who has been able to provide for us in a way that allows me to choose to stay at home with the kids. Sometimes when things get rough, or I feel like I have no social life, I think it would be nice to be back in the "working world", but those days are few and far between. And my job as mom, teacher, mentor, training buddy, etc., is exactly the one I want to be working in right now.

2 comments:

Kristi said...

Wow I didn't know you homeschooled!
I wouldn't even know where to begin!
Sounds like you have lots of fun things planned!

Jenifer said...

Good luck with getting in shape. I am thinking about doing it, I just haven't gotten off the couch yet:)