Thursday, August 21, 2008

WHEN LESS IS MORE


I've heard it said many ways... less is more, recycle/reuse, everything in moderation, voluntary simplicity. Less is more has pretty much been the theme we've chosen for 2008. I'll tell you something, saying it is much easier than doing it! We do have a plan, a whole family plan, that we have been working towards, and I have been blogging a bit about. And we each have our own little areas that we are working on separately.

So... as the eighth month of 2008 begins to wind down, it's time for me to tackle what I KNOW will be my most difficult task this year. I cannot procrastinate any longer. I have to get healthy. Getting healthy for me includes, losing weight, making healthy dietary choices, reducing stress, and establishing a regular exercise routine. I know, I know, I made it sound like I was facing some kind of insurmountable life obstacle... like maybe my life depended on it. But, in a way, that's not too far from the truth. Everyone experiences stress, everyone manifests the effects of stress differently, and everyone deals with their stress in slightly different ways. I EAT! Food is my drug of choice. As soon as I tell myself a certain type of food is off limits, that food becomes the one I gobble down after a stressful day. Of course the foods that are deemed off limits are never fruits and veggies, they are sweets, and unhealthy fats, and junk food! We all know the result of gobbling down unhealthy stuff, in unhealthy amounts, is weight gain. So I have gobbled myself up to 147 lbs., which is just a number, because 147 lbs. is a healthy weight for someone. But for me, at just under 5 feet 1 in. tall, with a medium/small frame, 147 lbs. is not a healthy weight. I need to be closer to 110-120 lbs. to be healthy for me. Do the math, and I'm looking at at total weight loss of 30-35 lbs., give or take. I've been successful at weight loss in the past, temporarily, and in smaller amounts. This task does seem insurmountable to me. I feel like I'm standing at the bottom of a steep cliff, with little climbing experience, and limited equipment, but somehow I have to make it to the top. And to make the climb seem even more difficult, it's a cliff I've attempted to climb several times before, and fallen back down each time. This time I need to get to the top, this time I need to stay there. It's not a life or death thing, but it is a quality of life thing. My quality of life, going forward, depends on my ability to be successful at making these life changes. Notice I said life changes. This time, it has to be a forever thing, these changes need to last a lifetime.

So... what's my plan? LESS IS MORE, RECYCLE/REUSE, EVERYTHING IN MODERATION, VOLUNTARY SIMPLICITY!!! Yep, that's the plan. Actually it's a little more involved than just a few catchy phrases, but it's a lot less involved than many of the other failed plans I've had in the past. When eating a meal, I will be eating less. When making a healthy dish, I'll make extra to have later on, at the end of a stressful day when I don't feel like making something healthy. I'm not going to outlaw any certain foods, but I will have a bite of dessert, instead of a whole serving. And most of what I will be eating will be whole, healthy, easy stuff. Like fresh fruits and veggies. The only preparation needed for fruits and veggies is to wash them. Exercise is not something I hate, so that's a good thing, but it does get brushed aside when I am really busy. My plan for exercise is to keep my daily life simple enough so that I can put exercise first. Sounds do-able, right? Oh wait, we haven't talked about stress yet... Keeping my stress levels under control will be the key to my success. So while I may have the exercise and diet plan all laid out and ready to go, I am still in the working things out stage of my stress management plan. Why so much stress? That's a bees' nest that certainly deserves it's own post, probably more than one.

So... I am on day three. I have two successful days behind me. Day three is is said to be one of the hardest, so I woke up with that in mind. I feel pretty good though, still determined. Oh, and I forgot to mention that the reason I've decided to blog about something that is obviously a little humiliating, somewhat private, and has the potential to open up my weaknesses to so many more people, is that I'm hoping that it will encourage me not give up!

p.s. I have to admit that my sis-in-law Jenifer's post about being a "roll model" was a partial reminder that I needed to kick this plan into gear. I was sitting on the floor, cross-legged, not long after reading the post, and thought, "I AM a roll model!"

3 comments:

Jenifer said...

I hope you weren't offended! Your plan sounds good. I think when you don't allow treats once in a while, you freak out and binge. Good luck!

Kim Bringhurst said...

Nope, not offended, I just think I'd rather be a role model, rather than a roll model :)

Btw, it was a hilarious post, and I was laughing my head off when I read it!

britaag said...

well im here for ya mom, i want the same thing!