Tuesday, August 12, 2008

OLD BABY and THE CLOVE IN MY OINTMENT


Old Baby is what my nephew Kyler used to call Old Navy when he was younger. It's just one of those things that sticks once you hear it. I have been to Old Navy twice in as many days, and as disappointed as I am with myself, I am equally exhilirated at my total savings on what I think are CUTE clothes for my family! So what is this attraction I have to Old Navy? I mean, obviously what they stand for in the world of retail is completely the opposite of what I'm trying to support. However, on the occasions when I've grown weary of online shopping/looking for organic, fair-trade, eco-friendly, non-sweatshop, shapeless, drab colored clothes that are horribly over-priced, Old Navy is my guilty pleasure! One year at the end of summer, I got shorts for 10 cents! As I was trying to justify my shopping spree with the boring eco-conscious other half of me today, my live a little, throw caution to the wind side said, "Hey, maybe the fact that you buy both ways means you are a well-rounded individual." I'm just holding my breath that the stuff I got won't start unraveling and falling apart too soon, so that Miss Granola me won't be like, "Ha! Karma!"

On the brighter side of wholistic living... I was introduced to essential oils years ago, and am still singing their praises today. When you are as sensitive to the entire world as I am, any little luxury is nice to happen upon. I can't wear perfume, hairspray, scented lotions or soaps (some are okay, most are not), and some makeup brands without having reactions either on my skin, or even systemically. A sad irony since I am so scent oriented. For some reason though, I can tolerate essential oils so I use them to give a little fragrance to my bath or lotion. I also use them on my eczema and psoriasis when it flares up, or to soothe a toothache or loosen a chest cold. So this morning after my shower as I was slathering on unscented Lubriderm lotion, scented with clove essential oil, I was so in love with my smell, I thought I should pass it on. Both medicinal, and they smell good! Can't get much better than that.

1 comments:

Jenifer said...

My friend Piper sells Moonvine Organics and I love it! I have a few things you can try out. She has a yummy citrus essential oil.

You got shorts for 10 cents? That's crazy!