Tuesday, November 4, 2008

GROWING PAINS

Can you feel them too? There's electricity in the air tonight... some of it fueled by excitement and hope, some by fear and dread. Either way, it's thick, tangible, and fully charged.

I liked things about both candidates this time around. I read and re-read their platforms and watched their rallies and debates when I had time (usually at the gym while walking on the treadmill) and I have to admit I was captivated by Obama's public speaking skills and compassionate demeanor. But we don't want to cast our vote based on emotional response alone, now do we? So I studied both sides and for the first time ever, really looked at who I thought was willing to tackle the issues that are most important to me. I didn't vote this year based on party bias, or on sheer emotion. I didn't let fear of certain alleged outcomes drive my decision either. And once I made my choice, and because I had really looked at what was good about both candidates, for the first time ever I was able to cast my vote and then finish the day without a shred of anxiety about the outcome. I felt like whoever was needed most by our bruised and broken Nation would be the one elected. Now of course I voted for one person over the other for my own personal reasons, but I was okay with the fact that my choice may not be the winner.

We all know that progress is what our country needs. And I think we all know deep down that the kind of progress we need cannot be accomplished by one man in the White House. What we do need from the White House is a strong and brave leader who will coax the best out of all of us, who will encourage us to get up and help ourselves out of the slump we've so easily let ourselves fall into. We need someone who will help keep us focused on what the real issues are, and not let us get distracted by issues that will continue to keep us divided as a Nation. It's going to take all of us to keep moving forward towards a better future for our great country. I think both candidates were acutely aware of how much is at stake for our Nation right now, and I believe they were both prepared to do their best to rise to the challenge. We are ready to stretch and grow. Are we ready for the growing pains yet to come? Anyone who has been married knows that real resolution to disagreements only comes when you put aside the notion of being the winner, and decide to work together to solve things. But, you also understand how much hard work is involved, and how much courage it takes to see another's side. I think we can handle it. We are a strong, stubborn, and ambitious bunch. So to quote President-elect Obama... "Yes we can."

Congratulations to our new President-elect. I don't envy your position, nor your immortal place in our Nation's history. But I will give you my hopes and prayers to live up to the responsibility you've won yourself.

1 comments:

Jenifer said...

Love this post. Beautifully written.