Monday, January 12, 2009

USERY

I am trying, really, really, trying to learn how to use my new fancy camera to make pretty pictures. When we decided to visit Usery State Park on Saturday I thought it was the perfect opportunity to practice.

I started with something easy like this Saguaro in the distance...


Then we had to stop because "someone" had to take a "work" call! Can you believe? Working on a Saturday, in the middle of all this?


My attempt at a close-up shot... a little off center.


Another shot of the people... slightly out of focus and too far away! I'm sure I'll get better...


I had to get a shot of this spiny devil! So here's the story... one of the dogs, Dodger, got a sticker in his paw from one of these terrible, awful, trees. He tried to lick it out but only got spikes in his muzzle, so I grabbed at the sticker to get it out, but that horrible thing grabbed onto me right back! Those stickers have barbs, like fish hooks in them that grab onto your skin and will not let go without a fight. We fought, the sticker and me, and eventually I prevailed. No hard feelings good sir, but I will be posting a picture of warning to any person, unawares of your evil appendages, who may find themselves hiking in the Arizona desert.


A picture of Kaylee... taking a picture.


The kids called this the cage tree. It did resemble a kind of Medieval trap.



Saguaro skeleton.

Usery is a gorgeous place. I realize that appreciation of the desert is an individual thing, but I don't know how anyone could visit this amazing place, and not admit to it's beauty. Oh, and I had some pretty good hiking companions as well.

1 comments:

Hola I'm Jeff said...

That was an awesome hike