Sunday, February 3, 2008

JANUARY 29, 1987




Remember 1987? Reagan was president, "Carribean Queen" was playing on the radio, beta-video tapes were trying to gain in popularity, and who can forget the mullet! Actually, I think, for too many people, they should try harder to forget the mullet... let it go. Anyway, I remember a certain day in 1987, that changed my life forever- my first date with Jeff! The truth is that I had a crush on him for quite awhile, and had been waiting for him to notice me, ask me out or something. It was halfway through our Senior year of high school and there was still no sign of him making the first move. So, I decided to ask him to the girl's choice Sweethearts dance. I was really nervous to ask him because I knew that if he didn't like me, my hopes would be dashed and, of course, my life would just be over (17 year old mentality). My friend Chantal kept pushing me to do it, and we came up with what we thought was a pretty cute idea to ask him to the dance. But when the night came to deliver the message, I was freaking out! Chantal got me into the car and over to his neighborhood, it looked like everything was going to be fine, until we got to his house. I couldn't make myself pull into the driveway so I drove around the block once. But, I couldn't pull in after driving around the block so I went around again. After five loops around the neighborhood, Chantal was getting impatient and wanted to get the deed done so we could go home and watch "90210". We were driving around the block arguing, yelling, and maybe even slapping at each other as she tried to overtake the wheel and steer us into the driveway. Finally, I decided it was do or die and pulled up to Jeff's house. By this time I think a few tears had been shed, I may have even had scratches on my face, and certainly I was flushed and puffy around the eyes, but I marched up to the front door and rang the doorbell. I waited and waited... and waited. Then I knocked. Nothing. After several minutes of standing there dumbly, wondering what to do next, Chantal rolled her window down and yelled, "Just leave the damn thing on the doorstep, I'm freezing!" So, after all that drama, I didn't even see Jeff that night. He did get my invitation and accepted it. Not only did he want to go to the dance with me, apparently it was the opening he had been waiting for to finally ask me out, which he did, for the weekend before the dance. On January 29, 1987, we had our first date at the 49th Street Galleria (or 49th Street Gonorrhea for anyone who remembers it). We went with a group of his friends in an old 1960's stretch limo that had been converted into the "Master Muffler Mobile". It had no heater, and no seatbelts. We had a great time bowling, there was some definite chemistry, and the rest is history!


So each year, we have celebrated January 29th as our first date anniversary. Sometimes we go out, sometimes I get flowers, and sometimes we just talk about it and how long ago it was. This year, after 20 years of remembering, I think we both forgot! But, I also think it's okay that we forgot. We are still together, we are happy and we have built a wonderful life together. There are so many great and beautiful memories floating around in my mind after 21 years together, that I don't need to cling to any one memory to feel happy. But, I will say it anyway- happy late first date anniversary to Jeff, and thank you for the best 21 years of my life!











5 comments:

Jenifer said...

That is such a cute story, but I'm curious...why did you post a picture of Bob Saget at the top? Just wondering.

Jenifer said...

Oh come on, you aren't going to remark about my Bob Saget comment? Did I offend?

Kim Bringhurst said...

um... noooo! but jeff has threatened to shut my blog down because of this pic! i guess he should try harder to take a serious picture if he doesn't want this stuff circulating around.

Jenifer said...

Do you know how many times Nate has threatened and edited my blog. Down with them, I say! If they don't want to be on, they shouldn't be so goofy! Or they can get their own stupid blog. We need something to keep us going!

Kim Bringhurst said...

here, here!