Monday, January 21, 2008

YURT CAMPING... in the dead of winter


This past weekend we tried a new kind of adventure. Camping in the middle of winter has never been a favorite activity of mine, but after staying in a yurt, I think I may have to add it to my list of favorites! Our yurt was built up on a deck and came complete with propane heater, comfortable beds, and electricity. We had a propane grill outside to cook on and toilets 50 feet from our door. The scenery was beautiful and serene, and the wildlife was amazing! Another advantage to camping in winter is the opportunity to have the campground pretty much to ourselves. We stayed both Friday and Saturday nights, and Saturday night we were the only people at the campground. It was quiet enough to hear coyotes howling in the distance which made going out to use the bathroom a little creepy.



We were able to make our own sledding hill and snowshoe across the frozen East Canyon Reservoir during the daytime, and play card and board games at night. Kaylee completely blew the rest of us away at Monopoly! She had so much money, she hired Brit to be her personal assistant and accountant once he went bankrupt.


Jeff brought along his spotting scope to check out the surrounding wildlife and was able to pick out deer and elk on the hillsides from miles away. We saw hundreds of deer, a few elk, lots of wild turkeys, about 15 bald eagles, and a llama. We guessed the llama was an escapee from a nearby farm, but it's still pretty funny to drive around a corner and see a llama trotting down the road! We also had a cute little bunny as our next door neighbor. I highly recommend yurt camping in winter! There is something about being able to enjoy some time away from the demands of day-to-day life that brings a little more balance and perspective. No t.v., no phones, no computer, lots of time to think. It was a wonderful weekend of just being a family.

3 comments:

Jenifer said...

Okay, I think I could handle this. At first, I was thinking a yurt was something you dug out of the snow and stayed in. No thanks! But it sounds like a great weekend!

Chantal said...

Kim

I just love your new blog thing! Thanks for letting us in on your family's happenings! I'll have to hire you to help me get one going for my family! (I'm also un-technological!---and, I know that isn't even a word, so is Technology-Free any better?)

Later
Chantal Brown

Kim Bringhurst said...

Hey Chantal! Glad you like the blog and good to hear from you! It was actually really easy to create, you should do it!!!