Thursday, December 11, 2008

I'D LIKE TO THANK THE ACADEMY...

Jeff likes to plan our dates for week nights because of his social disability (Shhh! Don't tell him I told you) so we usually go out on Thursdays. Tonight we decided to eat at Macaroni Grill because Jeff had a $25 gift card we could use at Chili's, two other places we don't even have in Utah, or Macaroni Grill. It was the better choice for me since I'd earlier eaten a frozen bean and cheese burrito, and that was already pushing my Mexi-food limit for the day (if ya know what I mean). To be fair, Jeff would have taken me wherever I asked him to for dinner because he is trying to buy back all the love he's lost over the past three months due to excessive weekend hunting. But, I have my own vices, and spending boat-loads of his money during the holidays is one of them, so I agreed we should use the gift card tonight. And had he not spent waaaay too much time with the duckies and the dudes, and had I not spent boat-loads of money, we would not have had our dinner with Rainman. I'm not talking about Dustin Hoffman, no, no, I'm talking about the real Rainman! Mr. Kim Peek was sitting at the table next to ours. The reason I can claim we had dinner with him was that Macaroni Grill had all it's patrons snugly smushed together and Jeff's chair was literally inches from Mr. Peek. He was dining with a pretty big group and it was so cool to listen to him answer questions about dates and times and other facts that he has stored in his amazing brain! My favorite thing about Mr. Peek is that he apparently carries his Oscar with him wherever he goes, and it was so cute to see him show it to his server. He even let her hold it... for about a half-second before he took it back. I guess Mr. Peek was never awarded the Oscar himself, it was given to him by Barry Morrow, who won it for scripting the movie Rainman. Mr. Peek was the inspiration behind the screenplay. If my mama hadn't taught me to be a good girl, and to mind my p's and q's, I would have asked to take a picture with him. Instead, I have this pic I pulled off the internet.

1 comments:

Jenifer said...

How cool! We would have sat there all night listening to him!