Tuesday, July 15, 2008

MORE ABOUT WEEDS


If you've been following my blog, you may recall that we planted a garden this year. Some of the garden is doing well, some things are struggling. I didn't do anything fantastic to encourage growth, and in fact some of the seeds we used had been sitting around for several years. So I guess the fact that anything is growing, is a good thing. This year we did use a super-special kind of fertilizer, it's hard to come by, but seems to do the trick. It's a goat-chicken-horse manure mix that we made ourselves! I don't normally experiment with animal feces, but hey, we've got all that poop just lying around waiting for flies, why not make something out of it? The plants seem to love it, sadly, the weeds seem to love it more. We have the biggest weeds you've ever seen!!! I spent a few hours out there pulling them out and feeding them to the animals, but soon realized that the weeds were probably going to win. I decided to make the best of the situation... we are eating the weeds. I'm not kidding either. I guess a lot of the weeds we have in our garden are edible. I know! Who woulda thought? Mostly they get blended up with our fruit smoothies.

The two things I love best about summer are: going out barefoot (or with flip-flops), and the fresh produce. Tonight for dinner we had fresh corn on the cob, fresh strawberries and cream, and zucchini right out of our garden. So yummy! Weeds or no weeds, gardens rock!

1 comments:

Jenifer said...

Mmmmmm, yummy poo weed smoothies!