Tuesday, February 3, 2009

NICKNAMES

I have a nickname for most everyone, and for many inanimate objects as well. I get this from my Grandpa Dar I think. Moving to a new place has really been a mind-suck since I've apparently, and subconsciously, had to find nicknames for so many new things! I've had a dull kind of headache for a few days which should have been my first indicator that I needed to give it a rest, but it took me till this afternoon to put the pieces together. So... I won't be nicknaming anything new for a while, but that doesn't mean we can't have fun with the names I've already given out.

The Filipino boy who lives next to us is named Mac, pronounced "Mock", and who I call "Mocking Bird" or just Bird.

The guy who lives diagonally across from us is a permanent resident here, has a lot of "friends" coming and going, and doesn't seem to work on a regular basis. I've nicknamed him "The Dealer" for obvious reasons.

The girl Kaylee's age who lives behind us is Louise. I call her "Louisa May."

Signal Butte is one of the main streets in our little area, but we pronounce it "Signal Booty" because that is how Kaylee read the street sign the first time she saw it.

We use the San Tan Freeway quite often and I've dubbed it "Carlos Santana Fwy."

Which reminds me that I call another little boy, Sam, who lives by us "Sam Tan."

Our two dogs are named Dodger, who we call "Super" because he is the best dog ever, and Jasmine, who we call "Dummy" because she is a knuckle-head.

Kaylee and Brit have hundreds of nicknames by now. But lately Kaylee has been "Princess Pinchy Bottom."

I don't know why I give everyone a nickname, maybe it helps me to remember names and places. The longer I've know a person or place, the more nicknames I have for them. Am I the only one who does this? Is there some kind of scientific or psychological reason behind it? I don't know. I don't always call people or things by their nicknames either, especially if the name isn't very nice. If my grandpa were still alive, I'd ask him why he always gave people nicknames. Maybe he had it all figured out.

5 comments:

Jenifer said...

I appreciate how you explained Jasmine's nick name. I wasn't sure what you meant by "dummy" hee hee. I like your nicknames. My favorite for Sam is Sam-onella.

Krista said...

I am so glad I am not the only one who does this! I think I do it because it is how I relate and remember things! It is kinda bad when you cannot remember someone's name and only know them by their nickname and it almost slips out when you are in front of them! (don't worry--I never had any for you and your family. That is a very good thing!)

Kaylee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kaylee said...

Meower is Angel for me, and Kelli is Bum Bum. Why? who knows... Oh and I am NOT Princess Pinchy Bottom!!

Anonymous said...

Kim, That is so funny! I do that too. I once named our neighbor prozac neighbor because when she came to our house to introduce herself the first thing she said was that she was on prozac. I never could remember her name. Kalie got old enough that she called her that once and I about died. I learned her name really fast.